Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Bernie Mac


Bernard Jeffrey McCullough
October 5, 1957-August 9, 2008







It took me a while to be able to write about this loss because I honestly didn't want to believe it. While he has been out of the public eye for a few months, I never would have attributed that disappearance to sickness. Bernie has always been virile, energetic, larger than life. To imagine him in a hospital bed, clinging to life is surreal. Maybe that is why his family hid it for so long.

But the truth of the matter is he was sick. And he did pass away. There is a great loss in black comedy. I've been a Bernie fan since way back. I remember when he was Moesha's uncle! His sense of humor was out there...but damned if he wasn't funny as hell.

I am still calling people a "summamab*tch", still saying "jingalang, jingalang", still want to know "where my cookies and shit?". The man was an icon, he truly will be missed. And in the words of George Clooney "the world just became a lot less funny"

No comments: