Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Addiction

I was once a Psych major, pretty pretentious... I know. But in my defense, mental health has always fascinated me! I spent several years studying disorders and convincing myself that THAT was what was/is wrong with members of my family (myself included see Imposter Syndrome post). At one point, I'd convinced myself that I was just a hypochondriac!

In my studies, I learned that the pattern of addiction can be genetically passed down. Naturally, I was immediately freaked out because it meant that I am susceptible to addiction. It is a disease that runs in my family (kleptomania, gambling addiction, alcoholism, etc). In knowing I am genetically predisposed, I've tried to figure out what it was before it ruins my life. Yet, somehow in all my intuitiveness I missed a few key red flags.

Namely;

-Shopping or spending money as a result of feeling angry, depressed, anxious, or lonely
-Having arguments with others about one's shopping habits
-Buying items on credit, rather than with cash
-Describing a rush or a feeling of euphoria with spending
-Feeling guilty, ashamed, or embarrassed after a spending spree
-Lying about how much money was spent. For instance, owning up to buying something, but lying about how much it actually cost


Retail therapy is a problem y'all?! Hell if I knew!

1 comment:

Ms. S said...

Oh no!!! I'm never getting out of debt now. Shopping is like eating to me. Once I start, I can't stop! This is bad news.