Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes We Can




I give credit to any writer who can formulate the words that describe how monumental today is. I have been searching for the right ones since last night (and I am rarely speechless).

Throughout this campaign I have heard "Yes We Can" so many times; and tiny voice deep down in my spirit that asked the question "Can we?" in response. I didn't believe it with a whole heart.

I hadn't ever dreamed that big, aspired that far. But he did.

I remember being in elementary school and getting that ruler. Remember? The one that had all the presidents on it? I'd look at it every time I used it, and not once did it occur to me that any other face could join the elite group. Never even crossed my mind. But he thought about it.

I remember the jokes about Bill Clinton being the first black president. I thought he'd be the only. But he didn't.

For him possibilities were endless, because he never set boundaries as to how far he could go. There was no finish line in his eyes. That is what made the difference. That is how he earned the title, President Elect Barack Obama.

Now every single minority in America can dream a little bigger. Strive a little further. It's almost like being given a key to a door that has been locked for hundreds of years, an age old secret revealed, a missing puzzle piece. It is all of that- and more- encompassed by three simple words. Yes. We. Can.








1 comment:

Ms. S said...

Of course, we can!

I'm not sure if you've read my latest g-chat status (before the "Vote" one) but here was the quote for the past few weeks:

"Whether you think you can or can't, you're right."

And I truly believe that.

Also, SBM made a very relevant point on his blog today. He said "I will say this … expect the official end of racism to be announced tomorrow. Someone on CNN already hinted at it … but we will soon be robbed of the ability to complain about “The Man”, desire reparations, or claim injustice. With this great history making event … Black people … we have no excuse and need to get it together."

And I truly believe that as well! I know there are so many people out there who believe that life should be a bit easier for us now but that is far from true. I hope people understand that through hard work, commitment and dedication, we can see anything through! No excuses!